Saturday, April 20

Long after...

Last post was years and years and years ago.

Update...

We live in the desert now (Utah) and poor old Larkie sat on the hard in Victoria. The iron sickness was extreme, and it was looking like I would have to make new frames as well as new planking. I resolved to do the work, but when we pulled the cockpit out, we found unseen damage and cruddy repairs. After a lot of heartbreak, I decided to salvage what I could from her.

I have the spars and the cabin sides. All the brass and iron. I kept the beam with her tonnage and registry, and I have the first 2 feet of her bow becoming furniture. A sad end, but the damage was done with the steel screws, and even worse, the horrible stainless wood screws splitting all of her beautiful old growth wood. Add to that almost 30 lbs of 3200  adhesive...

I also have a set of the original plans from the Rudder. The spars and brass will sail again, just as soon as I depart the desert. Larkie II coming soon to a bay near you, so says my heart.

DF

No comments: